Olympus Tough TG6
Olympus Tough TG6 compact camera
The most advanced waterproof (to 10m), freezeproof, crushproof, aka "tough," point-and-shoot camera on the market.
12MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS sensor with anti-reflective coating on both sides of the image sensor's sealing glass to reduce flaring.
Dual Quad TruePic VIII image processor, RAW capture, "PRO" capture mode, 25-point autofocus system, and an f/2 maximum-aperture lens, the TG-6 provides imaging capability on par with several "advanced" point-and-shoots, none of which can handle a dip in the ocean or a fall onto concrete.
The zoom lens on the camera has also been given a bit of an upgrade. It maintains the 4x (25-100mm equivalent) optical zoom capability, but new to the TG-6 in Aperture-priority, Program, and Movie modes is its 2x digital zoom, enabling a 35mm equivalent focal length of 200mm. The camera also offers Image Stabilisation, a Super Macro function, and Microscope mode, allowing for a close focus of 0.30" (1 cm).
Key Info on the TG-6:
- Our pick for Best All-Around Compact Camera
- One of the all-time easiest to shoot and easiest to learn underwater point-and-shoot cameras
- Great image quality from a small sensor and camera body
- Streamlined menus and operation for an even easier shooting experience than previous generations
- The best macro shooting ability right out-of-the-box, no accessory lenses required
- Super Macro 4K 30p video capability
- Expanded control over shutter speed and exposure than previous models
- Still the ultimate all-around rugged compact camera ideal for new and experienced shooters alike
The Olympus TG-6 is the successor to the Olympus TG-5, one of our all-time favourite cameras for shooting underwater. What makes Olympus TG cameras so special is their Microscope Mode and super macro shooting ability without any need for accessory lenses. The Olympus TG-6 carries on this legacy by continuing to be the most powerful macro camera - way more so than even any SLR - right out-of-the-box. This little camera can shoot the tiniest stuff in the ocean without the need for expensive diopters and accessory lenses. As if this wasn’t enough, it also produces beautiful wide angle lenses when paired with the Wide Angle lens.
- Outstanding image quality in both wide angle and macro from the smallest sensor in this review.
- Microscope Mode and new Super Macro focus options make it even easier than before to get insanely good super macro.
- Easily capture super macro in 4K video, something not available on previous generation.
- Camera can live in aperture priority and shoot wide, macro, video, and photo with no reason to change modes.
- Still the ultimate blend between simple operation, easy-to-learn menus advanced settings, and great image quality.
- The best choice for brand-new underwater shooters searching for a simple point-and-shoot that will grow with their skills .
- Sensor Effective Resolution / Type:
- 12 Megapixel BSI CMOS
- TruePic™ VIII
- Focusing System:
- CMOS Contrast Detection (with AF Illuminator)
- 50ft (15m) - IPX8
- 7ft (2.1m)
- 220lbf (100kgf)
- 14°F (-10°C)
- Yes - IP6X
- Rear Monitor:
- 1,040k-dot, 3.0" LCD Monitor
- 4K 30p
- 4K Timelapse Video
- FHD 120fps High Speed Video
- Sequential Shooting Speed:
- 20fps [H] mode 5fps [L] mode
- [Pro Capture] : approx 10 fps
- Special Features:
- Bright F2.0 Lens
- Pro Capture
- In-camera Focus Stacking
- Microscope Modes
- Selectable Underwater White Balance Modes
- Action Track Sensor System & Date Imprint
- Sensor System & Date Imprint
Compact Camera Vital Statistics
G7 X II
|Resolution||12.0 MP||12.0 MP||20.1 MP||20.1 MP||20.1 MP||17.0 MP|
|Image Size||4000 x 3000||4000 x 3000||5472 x 3648||5472 x 3648||5472 x 3648||4736 x 3552|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" (6.17x4.55mm)||1/2.3" (6.17x4.55mm)||1" (13.2x8.8mm)||1" (13.2x8.8mm)||1" (13.2x8.8mm)||4/3" (17.3x13mm)|
|Lens (35mm eq.)||6-33mm
|Still Frame Rate||30 fps||20 fps||6.5 fps||24 fps||10 fps||11 fps|
|Max Movie Resolution||4K||4K||1080p||4K||4K||4K|
|Max Frame Rate 1080p||240p||120p||60p||120p||60p||60p|
|LCD Size||2" 154K px||3" 1.04M px||3" 1.04M px||3" 1.23M px||3" 1.04M px||3" 1.04M px|
|Closest Macro Focus||12" / 30 cm (any)||0.39" / 1 cm (telephoto)||2.0" / 5 cm (wide)||3.5" / 8 cm (wide)||1.2" / 3 cm (wide)||1.2" / 3 cm (wide)|
|Camera + Housing Price||Starting at $450||Starting at $750||Starting at $1,100||Starting at $1,695||Starting at $1,250||Starting at $1,850|